Thursday, September 11, 2008

REFLECTIONS

Today marks the 7th Anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 tragedy in New York and Washington. Can you believe it? Wow! This morning while dropping off Zay at my parents I caught a little of the televised memorial in Washington. It was odd how only seeing a couple of minutes of a Scottish man in a kilt playing the bag pipes could bring me to tears and give me goosebumps. I could just cry right now. It is sad how much our country has changed since that day! So many lives are still being affected b/c of it. The children, the widows, the parents, the brothers and sisters, the grandparents, the aunts and uncles, the co-workers, the rescue workers, the survivors, the soldiers at war and their family's left behind are all trying to adjust to life without someone that they hold so dear, start a new life, still hold tight to the good memories and some are praying that theirs will soon be home! The one common thread that all of these people have with the rest of America is they all know where they were, what they were doing and they can still see the pictures in their mind. I was almost 6mos pregnant with Elijah and fast asleep when Martez came yelling into the room that the US had been bombed! I flew out of bed to get the real tragic story and couldn't believe my eyes! I hadn't seen pictures anywhere close to that it since the OKC bombing and I remember where I was then also. I was in one of my college classes which they then released early and everyone ran to the dorms to watch the footage and call home! It is times like these that brings family closer together and true appreciation is finally revealed! I don't know what I would've done if any of my family was in either of those buildings! I can't even begin to imagine the pain the victims and their loved ones experienced and I hope I never will. It was hard enough listening to my cousin's stories about his deployment to Iraq and to watch my uncle wonder each day if his son would come home. Thankfully he made it home safely but it all just makes me stop, think and appreciate everything and everybody I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment please!